Thursday, July 29, 2010

Sleeping Arrangements

Before I move on I think it's best that I go over the layout of our Airstream.  As I've mentioned it's thirty-two feet long, which is quite large as RVs go.  It doesn't have any slide outs nor is it very wide.  It's sort of like a large hallway with a living room at the front and a bathroom at the rear.  There is a joke among Airstreamers that Land Yachts come with a bowling alley.  I use the term living room very lightly as you'll soon see.  There were many different layouts for Airstreams and still are our's is a rear bath with a midship twin bunk.  Here's the problem Wynn, myself and the dogs cannot fit in a twin bed, so the living room is essentially another bedroom.  I sleep in the bunk just in front of the bathroom, which has some interesting consequences and Wynn sleeps on the goucho or fold out bed in the living room.  The goucho is also about the same size as a twin bed.  Suffice it to say Wynn and I have not slept in the same bed in a very long time, it's taken some time to adjust after years of sleeping with someone next to you.

In the bunk area is an amazing amount of storage.  There is a huge closet, an abundance of overhead storage that remind me of an airplane and a very deep built in dresser.  It's quite nice and all of our clothes fit, with a little work.  There are also closets on both sides between the bathroom and the bunk, oil heaters are hidden very nicely in them.

Between the bunk and the living room is the kitchen with a huge pantry, so huge in fact I'm not sure what all we have stored in it after two years.  The furnace takes up some of the under cabinet space but there is still plenty of room.  We have a double stainless steel sink and of course the refrigerator and the little dorm sized freezer.

You've noticed I've left out the bathroom.  The bathroom is quite spacious and everything works together nicely.  It also has an amazing amount of storage.  You wouldn't think that a couple of butches need a lot of bathroom storage, but we do.

The problem with sleeping next to a bathroom aside from the obvious "traffic" that can occur is the fact that with any RV human waste sits in a holding tank until it is emptied.  Some RVs can be used with the tanks open but Airstreams at least ours tend to clog up if you do that.  So especially during the summer there is a smell, it's not too horrible but it's there.  As long as you empty the tank as soon as it needs to be and you keep pouring your eco friendly chemicals down the toilet it's not really that bad.  Trust me I know exactly when the tank needs to be emptied, even in my sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment