Monday, August 23, 2010

Who Wants to Buy the Tin Can?

We found a house last week and fell in love with it.  It's just the right size in just the right area.  It's in our age range and price range and it's just what we've been looking for.  We were the first people to look at it as it had just been put back on the renter market.  Interestingly enough we didn't even know it existed when we were driving around trying to get to a different neighborhood.  I took a random residential street to try and cut across Route 66, and there it was the first house in from the corner of a wide, well kept, quiet street.

This is the house we went to look at after we found the Saab and we filled out the paperwork right away.  Wynn was hopeful but I have a hard time getting my hopes up, I've always felt that if I do I am setting myself up to fail. I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than devastatingly disappointed.

At any rate I tried not to think about it all weekend and at the same time promising my friends that I would tell them as soon as I knew anything.  So I worked my last 12hr shift of the week and came home this morning to sleep for a few hours before class.  At 9am Wynn called and woke me up.  I was so dead asleep that what she was saying didn't even register at first.  "We got the house."  "What?  What are you talking about?"  "We got the house."  and then I dissolved into non-words as my mouth tried to catch up with my brain.

We are moving in on the 13th of September, 12 days after my 29th birthday and my father will be pulling the Airstream out of our rental slot to a nearby storage facility on the 16th the day rent is due here.  The Airstream is officially for sale.  I know I will miss Airstreaming full time but I'm not sure when exactly I will start missing it, probably when we park her at the storage facility down the road.

The house is red brick with white trim and a working fireplace.  It has wood floors throughout and tile in the bathroom and kitchen.  It was probably built in the late 1920s and still has all of the original details.  Someone built a garage on probably in the 1940s and also added on a sun room.  It has two bedrooms a formal dining room and a large living room.  There are 1920s era French doors into the sun room where our office and my study area will be.  All of the plumbing fixtures as far as I can tell especially in the bathroom are original.

It has brand new appliances in the kitchen; gas stove, dishwasher, refrigerator, garbage disposal and even a washer and dryer.  The garage is big enough for all of the tools that I drive around with in our 4Runner and even our motorcycles will fit.

I am so excited that I have been up since Wynn called at 9am, I think I shall crash after class and sleep until my class in the morning.

The next post will have the specifics on the Airstream and the price.

No comments:

Post a Comment