Sunday, August 1, 2010

Sustainability

I think the hardest part about Airstreaming full time is my urge to become sustainable.  Sure we buy recycled and organic as often as we can afford to and my cupboards are stocked with non-perishable foods, but we depend way too much on Whole Foods and Farmers' Markets for foods that we could grow ourselves if we had the space.  Yes, yes, I'm yet another person jumping on the sustainability bandwagon.  I grew up with a garden and later with beef cattle, I ate farm fresh eggs, butter and milk and I knew where my food was coming from if it didn't come from my own home.  Now that's not to say that I don't know where half of my food comes from.  I know when I buy meat from the woman who runs a farm outside of town that it's coming from her farm.  Or if I buy veggies from one of the farmers at the farmers' market I trust that they have grown them in their own gardens.  But there are certain things, like what I made for lunch today that come prepackaged.  


Sure I didn't run and get fast food but it did come out of a package.  


Kielbasa and sour kraut, the kielbasa came from a big box store and was made by one of those infamous meat makers that all of the grocery stores stock, the sour kraut came from a can.  Now realistically I know the fine art of sausage making is well beyond my abilities, but that is something I can buy from the farmers' market.  Also I am trying to get rid of prepackaged meat, and it's better to eat it than it is to throw it away.  But the sour kraut realistically I could buy my own cabbage and pickle my own, but in the Airsream I just don't have the room or the means.  Eventually I would like to get to the point that we are growing a small garden and putting up produce from that garden for the winter so that our cabinets aren't full of food that came from wherever with scary chemicals in them, that we just pour into a pan to reheat and serve.  

No comments:

Post a Comment